NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 19 July 2015

Two 'squee's, a Game of Thrones reference, and why I hope my books are hiding under your bed with a can of whipped cream.

I am never quite sure about squeeing. You know squeeing - those moments that make you let out an  inadvertent little noise, and I am not talking about bending down suddenly here. When something really good has happened and you can't help yourself but go 'squeeeee'. It's a noise I associate with broken dog toys and twelve year old girls seeing an unexpected One Direction clip on TV, and one person's squee is another person's shrug and continuation with cataloguing their telephone bills.

So, I have two things to squee about this week, but your milage may vary on the squee front. I am certainly not expecting you to squee along, unless you have problems restraining your squees in general, in which case I recommend you sit down and watch your way through an entire Game of Thrones box-set, which will pretty much sort out your squee-incontinence. Game of Thrones is Tena Lady for the upper larynx.

SQUEE NUMBER ONE:  It is less than two weeks until 'I Don't Want to Talk About It' is released. Please allow me to quote from just one early review...Sally Coles says...

'Winter and her twin sister Daisy definitely have the twin connection when Winter moves to a remote Yorkshire village to escape her ex boyfriend Dan Daisy is her confidant. Winter soon becomes part of the village and meets the gorgeous Alex, but Dan is on her tail and determined to drive the sisters apart....what is it he knows about Daisy A great read - definitely a cut above your normal chick lit and one not to be missed'

The reviews made me squee. Plus I always get a bit squee-ey when a new book is coming out.This particular book-baby is set further north than most of my Yorkshire series, on the bit where Yorkshire struggles with becoming Teesside, and the moors give one last hoorah before they give up and sulk their way down to the coast. The cover is beautiful and there is a link on the sidebar of this blog. That's a sort of hint, you see.
It's set in a place which looks, in part, a bit like this. Only with less ducks. It now strikes me that I haven't written a book with ducks in and immediately want to dash off and rectify this...

SQUEE NUMBER TWO:  Once Upon a Time. This, for those of you who haven't been subjected to my unaimed enthusiasm, is a TV series which I was persuaded to watch by a friend, and am now physically incapable of leaving alone. Look here. Just be careful. I only went in for a couple of episodes, and now look at me! Part of the allure is the truly fabulous Robert Carlyle, playing Rumpelstiltskin in a way that makes Machievelli look like Barbara Cartland.
And it's funny and dark and surprising and can make me shout 'I did NOT see that coming!' which is actually quite hard to do, unless you are hiding under my bed with an aerosol can of whipped cream and a bag of marbles.

I'd like my books to make that happen to other people. The 'not seeing that coming' bit, obviously, not hiding under your bed with whipped cream and marbles bit.

In fact, I think I can just fit in another couple of episodes before I have to...I dunno, wash, dress, eat, all that kind of thing...

6 comments:

angela britnell said...

I'm looking forward to the new book and squee away happily!

Jane Lovering said...

Thank you, Angela! *squees happily off into the distance*

Sharon Booth said...

The book sounds fab - another surefire hit! I have never seen Once Upon A Time but now your post has brought it to my attention I want to watch it desperately. As an aside, I don't think I have ever squeed. I now think my life has been a complete waste of time.

Jane Lovering said...

Thank you Sharon...but it is never too late for either Once Upon a Time or squeeing. Just start off slowly so you don't injure yourself, a few stretches and....away you go!

Unknown said...

Oh, Jane. Your blogs always make me laugh and brighten up my Sundays.

So, here I am raising a glass (or two) of Kir Royal to you and to your new book, 'I don't want to talk about it..' (Great title by the way)

Keep up the good work and.... Book ordered.... can't wait to read it xx

Chris Stovell said...

I shall join in the fanfares of squees for your latest title - many congratulations. I haven't seen Once Upon A Time... but it looks as if I will now!