NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 27 January 2019

I've recently rediscovered Buffy. Well, that's not quite true, I never actually FORGOT about Buffy because someone around me is always either watching it or talking about it, or mentioning Spike in some context or another, so it's not like it went away. But I just hadn't watched it for a while, despite being the proud owner of absolutely every episode ever made on DVD and the CD recording of 'Once More With Feeling'.

But somehow Buffy had dropped off my radar. However, a couple of my children had been talking about it and how it's now on Amazon Prime (or Netflix, I forget which). And, hey, haven't I just been given a Firestick for Christmas, so I only have to shout at it that I want to watch Buffy and .....whoooomph....there it is!

(I say that as though it's easy. It isn't. Alexa and I have had a few 'fallings out' over what she thinks I say and what I ACTUALLY say, trying to persuade her to show me Time Team provokes all kinds of things to flash up on my screen, none of which feature the Fabulous Tony, to the extent that I am beginning to think that Lord Robinson (or my future husband, as I prefer to think of him)..
...has infiltrated my devices and wiped himself from their vocabulary.)

So, anyway. After I'd shouted 'BUFFY! I SAID BUFFY!!' a few times, Alexa got the message. So did most of the village, incidentally, and they now give my house an even wider berth than they used to, which has necessitated several of them actually having to use ladders, but that's by the by.

And yes, some of Buffy is a bit...old fashioned now; a wee bit dated. But the dialogue remains absolutely brilliant, the character arcs are heart-breaking and all in all it's a wonderful lesson in story telling. At least, that's what I'm telling myself to justify sitting in front of the fire with a blanket round my knees and a large amount of chocolate to hand, watching Series Four. It's work. Sort of. I'm studying story structure, all right?

Leave me alone, or I'll sing the entire soundtrack at you.

No comments: