NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 23 August 2015

Planning a party is like planning a wedding reception - with loads of brides.

Now, if it hasn't escaped your attention (and if it has, where have you BEEN?), it is now less than two weeks to the Romantic Novelists' Association York Afternoon Tea Party - a party that is, if nothing else, going for the world record for the longest title. I've had a small hand in helping with the organisation of said party (mainly, it must be said, being In Charge of Catering, a part I was born for because it meant looking at lots of pictures of food). And it's been a bit like planning a wedding reception...

I've been married, I've done reception planning.  Basically it consists of finding somewhere big enough to shut all your friends, bolting the doors and throwing food in until the screaming stops.  The only real problem is making sure that the alcohol doesn't run out and that the riot police are on standby for when the doors are finally reopened.  Or maybe that's just my weddings...
These were either enforcement or the strippers. Can't remember which, because of alcohol..
Planning the RNA party was a little different. Non-lockable doors, for starters.  And no grooms, but nearly 100 brides, all wanting the day to go smoothly and everything to be perfect.  I mean, only the bride ever notices things like flowers, doesn't she?  When did a groom ever say 'oh yes, it was nearly perfect, if only the stephanotis had been a little fresher...'
Stephanotis. For future reference...
And at wedding receptions you can just keep up a flow of booze until nobody can tell whether the sausage rolls were a bit lacklustre or, in fact, made of plasticine.  Our Afternoon Tea has no such luxury.

But, on the plus side, it's in the York Guildhall, which is beautiful...
we have the fabulous Milly Johnson doing a talk, and the caterers have promised us a feast.  Plus copious amounts of tea.  And, knowing the RNA, the chat-quotient will be well up to scratch...so all that remains is for me to find a suitable frock.
Something understated, like this...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for organising this event for us northerners, Jane. I look forward to meeting you and Lynda. (I'll be wearing my clogs and my best frock, lass.)

angela britnell said...

I will await picture of you in 'understated frock' with bated breath and suspect a penguin onesie might be more likely :)

Jane Lovering said...

And now, Angela, thanks to Helena above, you can picture me in the penguin onesie AND CLOGS! Although you might go blind...