NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 22 March 2015

I begin my latest Scribble Thinking, stare out of the window and hum a lot.

Last week I finished a book.  This week I'm starting one.

I know a lot of people like to take a 'book holiday' between their works of genius, but since my brain is prone enough to taking mini-breaks whilst actually in the middle of a book - lolling around on a sun lounger with a glass of Pimms in one hand and a HobNob in the other (a surprisingly satisfying combination, if you've never tried it), sunglasses on, and a defiant approach to deadlines - I already feel well rested and up for starting a new Work In Progress.  Although, since it is neither yet work, nor in progress, I feel a new term is called for.  Something along the lines of Scribble Thinking.

Although, since you already know about my lack of drawing ability, this could be my latest book or a picture of my house.

So I find myself at that exciting state of writing, ie, the one where you don't actually have to do any work other than thinking up character names and backgrounds, but you really want to.  In a couple of weeks, ie when I begin putting finger to keyboard, these positions will firmly reverse. I will have to do some work, but I will no longer want to.  This is the precise point at which Scribble Thinking becomes Work In Progress.  You will be able to time it exactly, should you wish... just ask me how the new book is coming along.  Whilst I am in Scribble Thinking mode you will get an answer along the lines of 'oh, it's great! It's going to be a Bronze Age time-slip story, and there's this archaeological investigation and this carved stone and lots of mud and archaeologists and...'  Ask me the same question once I've started Work In Progress mode, and you will be lucky to escape with the toggles still on your duffel coat.

So, I'm off to do some research now.  This mainly consists of staring at pictures of Tony Robinson, looking out of the window and humming tunes to myself.  If you'll excuse me...


Phwoar....

3 comments:

Wendy's Writing said...

I absolutely love the tern 'scribble thing'. It was during that time that I allowed myself to google gorgeous Greek men in order to form my main character - it's not nearly so much fun now!

Chris Stovell said...

I'm in the Pit of Despondency otherwise known as Work In Progress. Boohoo! I'm almost tempted to stare at pictures of TR if it will help, but in the meantime I'm going to hoover up industrial amounts of biscuits. Wishing you fair winds and girded loins for your writing journey.

Sally Malcolm said...

LOL ah yes, it all seems so easy at the Scribble Thinking stage. And then I find all those ideas run away and hide and refuse to come out until I'm actually sitting at a keyboard.

Enjoy the moment! And good luck with the WIP when it becomes one...