NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 9 February 2014

Self confessed Housework Atheist in not-at-all scary haunting drama. Possibly. Or physics, something like that. Plus Tony Robinson, just because...

I read the Fortean Times.  I just feel I should confess that first, before I ask for your opinions here. I am what might be best described as a 'sceptical believer'.  Well, I'm lots of other things too, ie, devoted Tony Robinson and David Mitchell fan; collector of, now I come to think of it not-unconnected Restraining Orders, biscuit-lover and Housework Atheist. But recently I have been suffering from an outbreak of...well, slight oddness.  And, I hope you will all appreciate, for something to rate as 'odd' in this house means that it must be off the oddness-scale in most places.

Gratuitous picture of grey furry cute thing cuddling a koala

And yesterday the oddness (which has so far limited itself to random appearances of safety pins, although I would like the Case of the Vanishing Scissors which occurred several years ago to be taken into account) manifested itself in the 'Sudden Popping Off of the Lid to the Olive Oil, which then Flew Straight Up and Landed on the Stove Top'. Which, now I come to think of it, is probably not going to catch on as a title. There I was, reading a magazine whilst boiling potatoes (see above re Housework Atheism. I don't mind other people believing in Housework as long as they don't become evangelical about it, I just don't believe in it myself), when there was a 'popping' noise. Exactly the same noise as you can make with your finger if you stick it in your mouth inside your cheek and then sort of swipe it out. I haven't done that for years but I just tried it...

I can now envisage all the readers of this blog doing that very thing. It is amusing, so do carry on...

I looked around, or rather, up from the thing I was reading and found that the lid from the olive oil bottle, which is practically empty but, in the spirit of never throwing anything away whilst there is still a layer of molecules in the bottom, is sitting on the worktop, had come off and landed on the hob, in front of the boiling potatoes.  I laughed for about five minutes and just wish that someone else had been there with me to appreciate the sheer ridiculousness of it.

There is probably a reason, related to Physics, why this happened, because otherwise I've got the world's most ignored poltergeist, (just as I typed that, everything fell off the radiator in front of me. I laughed at that, too).  I don't at all mind being haunted, if such a thing exists, and I am quite grateful for the safety pins, but I would quite like those scissors back.....

3 comments:

Carol Hedges said...

I suffer from Multiplying teaspoons. There used to be six in the drawer. Last time I counted, there were 8.

Just felt this was an appropriate place and event to share.

Jane Lovering said...

Yes, yes, we have that, only in reverse. With forks.

Anonymous said...

My teaspoons keep disappearing. Now I know where they're going.
I thought they were just offerings to Anoia Goddness of rattly things.