NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 22 September 2013

It doesn't matter what age they learn to talk. Honestly.

And today I return another child to University.  One has already gone, another is yet to leave, so I thought this was the ideal place to have a quick word about children...

I've several friends at the moment with young children. And by 'young' I mean still falling over, being sick and weeing everywhere - which I realise can also describe me after a hard night on the orange juice, but these particular ones have ages in single digits. The children, I mean, not the parents, because that would be odd.  And, almost without exception, they feel that their child is somehow 'behind' on something.  Those whose little ones can confidently recite pi to fourteen decimal places, are worried that their child isn't yet running confidently downstairs with a pig under each arm.  Those whose children are currently entering their ninth marathon are worried about that lisp when their child pronounces on the subject of 'absolute existentialism'.  Those parents who aren't worried about either of these things are particularly fretful that their offspring has a tendency to remove all its clothing in Tesco, and run down the offal aisle.

As I have raised five children past the 'naked offal-running' stage, through the lisping inability to do a jigsaw puzzle without wetting themselves and up to the ability to dress themselves in clothes that don't frighten horses, I feel qualified to tell all those parents not to worry.

Honestly. Seriously, don't worry.  I despaired too that my children would never learn to use the toilet/never learn to speak in a language that didn't consider 'Onint' to mean Elephant/never be able to walk confidently up and down stairs without dropping to their bottom and shuffling... and yet... one of them is a father himself, three are at University, and one is performing advanced singing and dancing in front of many people.  One of them called a pigeon a 'pim', one used to pronounce swan with a peculiar nasal 's' that sounded like pfhwan, and one got ridiculously excited by dinosaurs and knew practically every single type (including Baryonyx) by name by the age of three.  All now functioning normally in society (well, if you count training to be accountants to be normal, which I don't, but your mileage may vary) and able to pull their own trousers up and put socks on the right way round.
Two accountants, one writer, and a working father of one. I know, hard to believe, isn't it?  Just goes to show that you should never despair...

3 comments:

Mandy K James said...

Well done! You deserve a pat on the back. It is very hard to raise children nowadays with all the constant finger pointing and the 'They'say that it is best to do, this that and the other. It takes a strong parent to say - Well we do it like this, thanks.

My daughter is considering home schooling and she gets some very odd responses to that. It is as if she said that she was considering flaying the children alive and sticking marshmallows on them.

And more seriously I heard that it is illegal to home school on Germany. A woman suffered a dawn raid a few months ago and her children taken into care because she was teaching them herself!

Anyroadup - have a nice Sunday and have a hobnob to celebrate your success. xx

Carol Hedges said...

Oh yes..can relate to this!! Apparently I didn't learn to read ''properly'' tho I reckon I could..until I was 6. And I still can;t do maths..don't even have an O level in it. Gawd, parents worry so much....I get the reverse..tutees whose parents swear that their lumbering teens are little geniuses, just waiting to have their unrecognized potential released ..probably by me, for which I will get no thanks, as it was always there in the first place, wasn't it, so what did I contribute? Ha.

Jane Lovering said...

Thank you, Mandy! I actually did some home-schooling at various times with various children for various reasons, but it was v difficult teaching older ones with crawling babies/wrenching toddlers. And, I hope you don't mind, but I had several Hobnobs...

And Carol, I feel your pain. I still don't have an O level in Maths either, despite four goes at it, during which I got progressively worse. And I also know some parents who misguidedly think their offspring are misunderstood geniuses! Misplaced gnu, possibly....