NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 10 February 2013

Vampire Weekend; dodgy knitwear and me.

I seem to be attending a music gig.  No, not right now, I'm not going to sit here typing a blog post while someone plays bass guitar in my ear and a rather lovely young man gyrates with no shirt on, am I?  I'd be too busy sitting on my hands and drooling, for a start.  No, this music gig is a future event, which I expect you all to note in your diaries, and then ask me about at intervals.

It all began with my youngest daughter.  She's sixteen, by the way, not a precocious infant or anything.  She has an...affection, shall we say, for the American band, Vampire Weekend.  In case you haven't heard of them (and I can almost guarantee you will know some of their songs, the ridiculously catchy 'Cousins' for a start), here they are.

Nice bunch of lads.  Rather too fond of cardigans in my opinion, but you can't have everything.  This picture, by the way, is courtesy of Vanity Fair magazine, so you can tell that these aren't your average bunch of grunge-funsters, scratching a living, other people's cars and their initials on furniture.

Anyway.  When my daughter (who's called Riyadh but is hereafter known as Paj, because that is what she's known as at college, where she studies Musical Theatre, or, as her brother rather unkindly dubs it 'Singing and Bouncing') learned that the third album from these knitwear-loving lads was being released at the beginning of May, she was beyond excited, and many...many...many tracks from their already extant two albums were played in the house.  Yes.  Many. She follows them on Twitter. I think I may have seen every single Tweet about the new album (it's called Modern Vampires of the City, just for your information).  And then, she found out that they were playing One Single Gig in London...

Reader, I bought tickets.  I can only assume that my resistance was worn down by exposure to dodgy jumpers and 'Holiday' played on a loop.  In May there I shall be, in London, trying not to look like some kind of stalker, while Paj jumps up and down in tiny clothes and sings along to all the songs.  I do hope I'm not expected to blend in, because I don't have that many pullovers in my wardrobe, although I can do the 'shirt over T shirt' look like nobody's business. 

Plus, you know, I do write about vampires, so it's work, sort of.  Although, should they turn out not to be real vampires, I am going to be very cross and I may write a sternly worded letter of complaint, so there had better be throats torn out at least once during the course of the evening, ruined sweaters or not.

4 comments:

Christina Courtenay said...

They sound great, Jane! Must have a listen, although I'm with you on the cardigans. What is it about young people and cardigans? Don't they know my grandpa wore one?? :)

Jane Lovering said...

Cardigans are clearly 'in' again. That and those Fair Isle sweater things that used to be forced on me when I was a child. It'll be home-knitted balaclavas next, mark my words...

Stephanie Bisby said...

Vampire bands sound like fun. So does studying musical theatre. I think I am becoming rather jealous of your daughter! I couldn't imagine my parents taking me to a gig when I was sixteen, although I have finally corrupted them sufficiently to force them to see 'We Will Rock You' in the West End (which they loved, because it's utterly amazing, and still would be even if it didn't star the lovely Rachael Wooding).

Flowerpot said...

Vampire bands - brilliant. Cardigans or no cardigans!