NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 24 February 2013

Cake - the natural enemy of writers; a discovery made by me. And also, for some reason, codpieces.

A strange thing has happened to me, during the course of my usual mid-WIP procrastinating phase.  Well, maybe it's not that strange, maybe it happens to everyone, but I thought it was strange and this is my blog, so thhrrrwwwwrrrrp to you and I shall talk about it anyway.

When I'm tiddling about, needing to take a short break from writing...all right, maybe not that short, more of a middling break, and not being the kind of person who can lie back on the chaise longue eating grapes and walnut whips and berating the butler, I usually read a book.  I mean, all those words I write (and it's been about seventeen thousand this week, but I've been on holiday from the day job, which explains it) need to come from somewhere, so, after I have poured a number down on paper, I need to refill.

I've read two and a half books this week, whilst refilling.  The half was one that I'd already started, not one that had been torn in two by a muscular man with a point to prove, by the way.  I don't do muscular men.  Well, yes, some muscles, obviously, otherwise they wouldn't be men, they'd be jellyfish with beards, but not those ridiculous 'bulging thew' types.  What is a thew, anyway?  It's not the same as a codpiece, is it?

Never knew what all the fuss was about.  I've got an ENORMOUS cod piece in the freezer.
 
Where was I?  Ah, yes.  When I'd finished reading, I still felt as though I had a little bit of procrastination to be getting on with, so I decided to make a cake, and, in the process, discovered that being creative in the cake-making direction completely took away my desire to be creative with words...

Further experimentation proved that knitting works the same way, as would sewing, possibly, but I shall never find out because I only sew under extreme duress, ie the buttons have fallen off my favourite trouser or something.  But I was astonished to discover this!  The desire to write can be completely dispersed by the application of wool, or buttercream and some little icing star-things, or even just a very good recipe book!

Of course, like a good little scientist I had to test my theory.  I now have a cupboard full of cake and absolutely NO desire to finish my WIP....  which is a bit of a problem because my publisher awaits the completion of the WIP, and absolutely NO-ONE wants four hundred stale lemon buns and a wonky fruit cake.  Perhaps when I've eaten them all I shall have my writing mojo back?  Or just a bottom so large that I physically cannot leave the house.

I shall present my findings in an appropriately scholarly manner in due course.  But first I have to test my codpiece theory...

8 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Nice codpiece! And I think you may have stumbled across a new theory of creativity! I also find that noodling about making a cake - or marmalade - seems to fool my brain into thinking I've written several thousand words. If only.

Mandy K James said...

Having just consumed a ham salad wrap, a packet of crisps and a piece of Ronan's birthday cake, I can empathise nicely with that. I have yet to start actually baking cakes, but it does seem to be the 'in thing' at the moment. Linda has blogged this very day about cake making and procrastination, so I am beginning to feel a bit left out.

There is no birthday cake left though, so it would be daft not to fill the gap on the shelf that the aforementioned consumed cake had left wouldn't it? :) X

Sarah Tranter said...

Oh there is definitely something in the air, Jane. I am pretending I didn't read the 17k wordcount in one week or you will send me off into another bout of children's bedroom sorting - in fact - too late :) X

Jane Lovering said...

Thank you, Chris and Mandy for verification of the cake theory. Now, if you could just verify the codpiece part...?

And Sarah, yes, a lot of words, but only because I haven't cooked, cleaned, gone to work or done anything else. Even showering has been a bit hit-and-miss, to be honest.

Karen said...

I always bake cakes when I'm procrastinating, then wonder why I don't feel like writing any more. Now I know why!

Sharon Booth said...

I am stunned into silence by the fact that you can not only write 17,000 words in one week (yes, I know you SAY that it's an unusual occurrence but are you just being modest?), but you can also knit, sew and bake four hundred lemon buns and a fruit cake - wonky though it may be. And you read two and a half books in one week??
My talents do not extend this far. I can EAT four hundred lemon buns, but bake them, no. And I haven't knitted for years because I have to get someone to cast on and cast off for me and no one thinks the actual knitting bit that I do in between is worth it. As for sewing - if it can't be Wonderwebbed forget it. I am humbled by your accomplishments, Jane. A creative genius and now a scientist, too. Frankly, I am in awe.

Jane Lovering said...

Karen, I am glad my scholarly research has come in handy, and I have made a definitive discovery! Let's give up cooking for our own, creative good.

Sharon, I *may* have *slightly* overstated the number of buns. Nothing else was an exaggeration, although my sewing is rubbish. And I was on half term, which has ended now and I'm back to half a paragraph a day, and four hours on Facebook. Sorry.

Flowerpot said...

17k is truly amazing, Jane. you are entitled to eat as much cake as you want!