NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 13 March 2011

NOTICE - The creator of this blog is temporarily busy. Until her return, here is some gubbins. Oh, and picture of a box of chocolate, because she has no imagination.

Have I told you my theory about 'Emergency Chocolate'?

I've still got several boxes left from Christmas, and the reason I haven't eaten them is that I have several boxes left.  Does this sound dangerously recursive?  If so, it's because you don't subscribe to the Emergency Chocolate theory.  Which goes:  I have some chocolate.  Therefore, any time I feel like eating chocolate, I can help myself.  Of course, the cussedness of my nature means that I will now only want to eat other things, like Pringles (why is there no Marmite flavour of Pringles yet?  Hmmm?) or jelly or fudge.  Things, please note, that I DO NOT have in the house.

If my house was devoid of chocolate of any kind, I would want to eat chocolate.  It's a simple theory and one which works to the extent that I have an enormous box of Ferrerrrerreerrrro Rocher which I was given for Christmas on top of my wardrobe, and it is untouched.  Yep, those annoying little bits of sellotape which you don't notice until you are scrabbling at the lid in the middle of the night, with the eager desperation of an addict, haven't even been broached.  Every little golden globe is still there, in its proper place.

Are you jealous yet?  Well, ARE YOU?  They're calling your name...

And, in other news, I'm still deep in the depths of sticky rewrites for my next book.  It's called Starstruck, it's set in the Nevada Desert and I'm busy tiddling around with it to get it shipshape for publication this autumn.  Hopefully I will soon have a glorious cover to reveal to you, but not yet, my proud beauties.  Hold your eagerness in check...here, have a Ferrero Rocher while you wait...

And now, please excuse the brevity of my wit, but I must head back to those natty little rewrites.  Next week you will get your money's worth, if I am any judge.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Marmite Pringles. We need a facebook page for those! :)

I can see your logic on having choc there for emergencies.

carol

leah fleming said...

My emergency supply is hidden high for those Attack moments when only 70% cocoa will do. Also awash with Titanic line edits being drip fed on a weekly basis for The Captain's Daughter. Trying to resist the munchies as we speak

Elizabeth Currie said...

Nope, I don't get it. The reason there's no uneaten box of chocs in my cupboards (anywhere) is because they'd just get eaten. Chocolate = to be eaten - now, not sometime or later ... So, no chocs here! But I should get me off to bed methinks, my eyes are bleary; I initially read your new title as 'Starbucks! I know they're just about everywhere now, but the Nevada Desert?! But you've chosen well; it's a truly awesome & inspirational landscape. Any handsome Native Americans in it? Or am I trying to 'peak' too soon? Best of luck with it and the rewrite anyway Jane! ... Damn, why did you mention those chocs... but at least it wasn't a certain J Savile ...

Jane Lovering said...

@Dizzy C - yes, Marmite Pringles, the world asks 'why not?'

Leah, why does writing = eating? The only thing that saves me from having a bottom the size of the Isle of Wight is.... chewing gum.

Elizabeth, sadly no handsome Native Americans in my book, just exported Yorkshire people (and a hunky Welshman). Maybe next time...

Flowerpot said...

Sadly I can't eat chocolate unless I am so exhausted I might fall over. Come to think of it, that might be now!! Good luck with the rewrites...