NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Thursday 29 April 2010

Brain mice and thought cheese

I find myself having to coax concentration from my brain, like someone coaxing mice into a trap.  Hence the title of this blog.  You thought I was losing it, didn't you, go on, admit it.  You thought I just typed random words in the attempt to lure people into reading this, but that's just silly, if I did that then the title would be Boscombe tuna leaf weather, which in itself is a pretty good title but it doesn't really mean.... Hey!  It happened again!

Ooh, nice shoes.

I can't help it, my mind wanders.  I start off with a good idea and suddenly I remember that I've got to wash the car and where did I put that suet, and then the phone rings and next thing I know it's Boscombe tuna leaf weather again.  I make lists, you know.  Lots of lists.  And one day I'll find where I keep putting them. I'll open a cupboard and be hit with all the things I should have done over the past twenty years, and every one of those lists will start  'Put On Trousers'.  I'd be an absent minded professor if I hadn't kept forgetting to go to my science classes, so I decided the only thing to do was to become a writer, because you're allowed to be absent minded if you're a writer and besides, if you work at home you don't have to worry about forgetting your trousers.  And, as a plus, I also work in a science department where everyone ELSE is absent minded and probably wouldn't notice if I did forget my trousers.  They'd probably just ask me where I got those woolly pink tights from.  Until I explained that those were my legs.

Perhaps my mind is just too full.  Yes, that will be it.  I'm so full of good ideas and interesting thoughts for writing that I've got no room left for proper thinking.  Which is why I can't remember my own phone number or what I had for lunch but I can remember the total plotline for my latest work in progress, plus the heroine's entire life history.  Yes, that's it.  I'm too busy being a genius to think about real life...

Oooh, nice shoes.

This is my brain.  On a good day.  On a bad day, there's less cheese.

2 comments:

Alice said...

who needs proper thinking! lol ...

Jane Lovering said...

Well, it might be handy sometimes. Trying to pay for dinner with trolley tokens, for example.