NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 8 January 2017

Writing Guilt. Female phenomenon or general writerly angst?

I was having a discussion recently with a bunch of on-line friends. Yes. I have friends. Okay, so some of them I've never met in real life, but that doesn't stop me calling them friends - and yes, I am very aware of the rules on who I might be allowed to call a friend, believe me, someone with as many injunctions as me is very well aware of that sort of thing.  Anyway. What we were talking about was Writing Guilt.

We were a group of women (this is relevant, honestly) talking about having to get on with writing but our behaving as though writing was our own little 'treat' - something we must do quietly, and only when all housework etc is completed. As though, somehow, our writing was not a valuable contribution to the household earnings and/or our desire to write was something that must be placed lower on the ranking scale than the dog's desire to have a four mile walk and the cat's desire to have a really clean set of pillowcases to sleep on.

I call this Writer's Guilt.  And the topic of discussion with those friends (yes, they really ARE friends. No, not in the same way as Tony Robinson is a friend - see above re injunctions) was whether or not male writers also suffer from Writer's Guilt if they take themselves off to add a chapter to their WIP, or whether they are better able to prioritise their writing lives.  Does this depend on whether the writer is earning a living solely from their writing (ie, is it easier to ignore the hoovering and the dog if your writing is paying for the electricity and the Pedigree Chum, and I can't imagine that Sir Terry Pratchett ever delayed sitting down in front of his keyboard until the bath was clean and he'd completed the Sainsburys order)?   Is it just women who feel somehow guilty about sitting down in front of our keyboards, as though by writing we are neglecting something or someone else in our lives?
And where does this guilt come from? It seems to be felt right across the board, so it's not just an extension of the natural guilt that motherhood thrusts upon you, associated with the feeling of always being in the wrong, lack of sleep and never being able to find a pair of socks that match. Is it ingrained in us from birth? Are there men that also suffer?

Or is it just the way the dog stares at us?
Try not to weaken...



6 comments:

Rachel Dove said...

This speaks to me big time Jane x I have this mother/writer guilt daily x

Jane Lovering said...

It does seem to be widespread, Rachel! You are not alone...

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Great post. I think sometimes we allow ourselves to fall into the Cinderella-trap (obsessively cleaning the house and putting the needs of others above our own) because we love writing so much, it doesn't seem to be a "real" job. Besides, when our fur-babies look at us with those big, sad eyes, who can say no?

Anita Davison said...

Great post Jane. I shamelessly boot up the computer BEFORE I have washed the breakfast dishes or put the washing machine on - it's my protest against the 'Are you still mucking about on that computer?' comments I receive on a regular basis. I have a publishing contract for a series to complete which might not earn much, ever, but it's what I do!

Chris Stovell said...

Actually, this is one I don't suffer from... and I've even surprised myself there. I just think this is my job - trying to convince people who don't understand what my work involves that I can drop everything at any time is a bigger problem.

Jane Lovering said...

You are so lucky Chris - what's your secret? I still find that I am treating writing as though it's 'me time' rather than a job that I get paid for. But, thinking about it, I like to have the housework done before I go to the day job, so maybe a part of it is liking to have everything done when I surface, rather than feeling an obligation...? I just wish I could ignore stuff!

Are we so imbued with an archaic view of women? Or do men feel that the can't really settle to writing until the house is spotless? Is it guilt or just practicality?