NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 10 April 2016

Why I'm not here...and a forthcoming book...

I've decided to stay away from my laptop for a while.

Not forever, no, you don't get rid of me that easily, but just for a few days.  Or so.  Like...like an electrical holiday - if I weren't using the TV, cooker, toaster, kettle, etc. So more of an actual computing holiday.

I had a crisis of...whatever that thing is, when you start writing a new book and you're all excited, and then two days later you open the document, stare at it, and can't think of a single word to write.  My own fault entirely; I'd just signed off on the proof of one book, finished writing and sent another to my agent, and heard that a third will be entering its edits in August (more on these later, so take notes, there may be a quiz).  It was, quite simply, too many words in one go.  My brain had made a noise similar to a car when the starter motor jams, that useless 'click' thing.
This is the most terrifying and yet exciting thing that an author can ever see...
..although I understand that this runs it a close second.

So, enforced by my brain doing the 'click' thing, I decided to stop.  Not even look at the computer for a while and then to have a little computer holiday. I've been reading, walking, watching TV, rolling around on the sofa wrapped in a duvet and all that.  Normal service will be resumed as soon as I decide what is normal.
Now, about the books:

One of my older books, previously published by Samhain and called Reversing Over Liberace, has been acquired by Choc Lit, is in the process of being retitled and recovered (in the sense of having a new cover, not like mouth-to-mouth), has been updated with new bits added, and should be coming out as a Choc Lit Lite in June! It will only be available as an e-book, so dust off your Kindle and charge it up ready...

Right.  Back to my computer-holiday.  I've got my towel rolled out on the metaphorical sand, and I'm about to have a cocktail.  Peel me a grape, someone...

2 comments:

Terri Nixon said...

Hope you enjoy your sabbatical, but don't make a habit of it, okay? There will be ructions if you do, and you don't want that, do you? DO YOU? Okay. So we're clear. Now, roll up in yer duvvit, bung the telly on, and take a well-earned rest. *is watching for signs of too much contented sighing.*

Chris Stovell said...

Congratulations on the reinvented Reversing Over Liberace - good news! I was fortunate to go on an actual holiday but it did me good to be away from the computer... I'm hoping that it will also lead to some writing... anyway, I hope your sabbatical gives you the rest you need. xx