NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 10 January 2016

Having a hygge moment...it's not rude, honestly. Although, the way I do it, it might be.

I'd heard about 'hygge' a few times, (it's pronounced 'hooga', but more like 'Huga' than 'Who-ga' and there was even a programme on the radio about it, just before Christmas, which just reinforced what I'd thought up until then.

...I am secretly Danish.

'Hygge' is a Danish concept, which translates (very roughly) to 'cosiness'.  Only, of course, if you're Danish you have the added inbuilt advantages of long dark nights and snow, which we all know add to the general 'cosy' factor.  But, what with all the rain and the general 'blurghness' of the weather lately, I have been trying to indulge myself in hygge, and I have found it to be a most satisfying thing.  It's not just 'being' cosy, near as I can understand, it's more about 'experiencing' the cosy.  You know that lovely moment when you snuggle down into a warm bed on a cold night and listen to the wind howling around and think 'I don't have to get up in the morning'?  I think that is hygge.
Two of my dogs, getting the concept.

So, for the unititiated into the whole 'cosy/hygge' thing, here is a small list of things I have found necessary to fully immerse myself into the experience:

Onesie - or other garment unsuitable for actually wearing outside either for reasons of practicality (ie, totally made of fleece or some other fabric that lets the wind in) or decency (bits of food, general tattiness)

An open fire - if you don't have one, try setting fire to the curtains.  It gives you long enough to toast a marshmallow, if you're quick.

A good book - can I recommend one of mine? Or a magazine or something on the telly.

Hot chocolate - this must include whippy cream, marshmallows and a flake.

Cushions - honestly, how did I spend so much of my life not knowing about cushions? Anyway. Cushions, Loads of them.  If you don't have any, use a cat.  If you don't have a cat, I'm not entirely sure what you're doing reading this blog, but anyway.

Now.  Just lie back and indulge yourself.  Listen to the wind, preferably outside, but, you know... embrace the snuggletudinosity of the moment.

Yes, I know it won't last.  But, we tried...
Picture from http://www.thehyggejournal.com/2015/12/24-days-of-hygge-for-christmas-day-10_10.html. Yes, there are whole blogs about hygge! It isn't just me, for a change.


3 comments:

angela britnell said...

We lived in Denmark years ago (met hubby there) and the long winters definitely had benefits - lots of Scrabble and jigsaw puzzles and watching goldfish tank on TV when only channel wasn't on air and they had a fish tank showing instead of the ancient test card!

Sarah Tranter said...

am heading right off to indulge. I don't think there's any coincidence in the word sounding so much like 'hug'. It sounds like rewarding yourself with your own hug. Happy hygge, Jane x

Chris Stovell said...

I love the sound of rain on the dormer roof of my bedroom... although you can, of course, have too much of a good thing. Happy hygge!