NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Thursday 10 September 2015

Please Release Me, by Rhoda Baxter, released TODAY!!





Today, although it isn’t a Sunday, I am doing a post in honour of the publication (today!) of Rhoda Baxter’s latest release, Please Release Me…no, no, it’s all right, that’s the title, I offered to do it, she’s not standing behind me with a gun or anything.  Besides, it’s a great book and anything I can do to help it out on its way in the big wide world…just realised that makes me sound a bit like a midwife.  A book midwife.


Anyway.  First off, here’s the link to buy, and the blurb, to whet your appetites..
The blurb:
What if you could only watch as your bright future slipped away from you?
Sally Cummings has had it tougher than most but, if nothing else, it’s taught her to grab opportunity with both hands. And, when she stands looking into the eyes of her new husband Peter on her perfect wedding day, it seems her life is finally on the up.
That is until the car crash that puts her in a coma and throws her entire future into question.
In the following months, a small part of Sally’s consciousness begins to return, allowing her to listen in on the world around her – although she has no way to communicate.
But Sally was never going to let a little thing like a coma get in the way of her happily ever after …

To further whet you, Rhoda has given me some ‘prompts’ to write about. One of the themes of Please Release Me is people being stuck, so the prompts are as follows:
1.     The thing I’m stuck on now…
Reading.  I need to read more books before my bed is subsumed under the huge pile of paperbacks leaning against it.  One morning I am going to be buried, trapped beneath my duvet and unable to get out until I read my way clear of the pile.  Trouble is, I used to read one or two books a day. I always had one on the go upstairs (for reading in bed) and one downstairs (for reading whilst cooking, hoovering etc and yes, you can read and hoover.  You miss bits of both, but it never really matters).  My brain thinks I still read two books a day and buys accordingly.  I don’t like to tell it that I’m down to a book every few weeks, it might sulk.

2.     If I could be stuck anywhere (with anyone)…
I’m torn on this one. The answer is either…a desert island with interesting Bronze Age remains and Tony Robinson – and yes, I know desert islands are highly unlikely to have Bronze Age remains, unless it’s an island off the coast of Scotland or something, and therefore not really desert, but then, with Tony, keeping our woollies on will probably be for the best.  Or.. a desert island with interesting Bronze Age remains and Tom Hiddleston.  What? He’s got a double first in Classics, you know. The cuteness is merely an interesting side-effect.
3.       Stickers
No. Just. No.  I have three daughters, all of whom have passed (at least once) through the ‘sticker’ stage.  And unless you’ve tried to prise 141 cartoon pony stickers off the headboard of a pine bunk bed (top deck, naturally), because your daughter has decided they are babyish and she wants to replace them with 141 stickers of Thor and his Giant Hammer, you cannot comment. 
And, how come those stickers stick so viciously?  What do they use? Because my calendar falls off my wall at least three times a week…maybe I should stick it up with 141 cartoon ponies…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to have 'This belongs to Alison' stickers. I stuck them on EVERYTHING (or at least everything my sister hadn't already got a 'This belongs to Helen' sticker on.) My mother was not impressed. And yes - they were horrendous to try to get off.