NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 14 June 2015

Jurassic World. Seriously BIG STOMPY MONSTERS!

I am very bad at suspension of disbelief.  Seriously. If you don't believe me, then pop back a few pages and read what I have to say about Alpha Billionaires and my inability to believe in them. I just don't have the right sort of brain for 'yeah, okay, there's this bloke and he's sexy and gorgeous, and incredibly ripped, and, get this right, he's also a multi-billionaire (no, I don't know where he finds the time either), AND, not only is he gorgeous, ripped and loaded, but he's an Alpha, so he can tell me what to do all the time, and, because he's gorgeous, ripped and loaded, I don't mind!'

At about this point my brain fizzes and sparks come out.

Anyway. Despite my lack of suspension of disbelief, I really like sci-fi and fantasy films. Probably because not many of these have alpha billionaires in, although it doesn't explain why I refuse to believe in those, but can allow faster-than-light travel, human-shaped-and-orientated aliens and dragons, but anyway... So. Yesterday a bunch of us went to see the new Jurassic World film.

And, oh boy, I suspended disbelief to the extent that I nearly stopped breathing. I mean, DINOSAURS, people! And children in peril, and running in heels (not the children though) and BIG, HUGE STOMPY MONSTERS! WITH TEETH!
Urk
And not at any single point in the film did I find myself thinking 'those people are all acting against a giant green screen with a man with a tennis ball on a bit of stick jumping up and down to give them an eyeline'. And at this point..
I am actually thinking 'that's really cruel, those poor creatures!'. Although I reassure myself that, at one point in the film, the whole audience went 'awwww..' and at another, 'hooray!' And all of these reactions were occasioned by, basically, a man riding a motorcycle through a jungle on his own, whilst somewhere, far, far away, in a computer lab a lot of what I am contractually obliged to call 'boffins', did this..

And, although the film was rated a 12 (and I hate to admit this) it was about as scary as any film I'd ever want to see when I didn't have a cushion to hide behind. Suspense, blood (lots of people dying...I mean loads, to the extent that I had to count all of us who'd gone to see the film to make sure we'd all made it through), and BIG, STOMPY MONSTERS WITH TEETH!

I want to go and see it again now...

2 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

oooh, I really want to see this - maybe 2000 years from now it will arrive in west Wales!

Flora said...

I'm a bit disappointed that Jurassic World is a 12 when the last 3 film were PG... my 10yr old is not a happy bunny!! Would be a bit mean for the 3 of us to go to the cinema to see it while we leave her behind with the babysitting grandparents, wouldn't it?!