NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 9 November 2014

I discover that Peter Capaldi is thicker than he appeared before. I mean three-dimensionally thicker, not stupid. He's not stupid at all, I don't think.

I want to know if this is A Thing, right...

Yesterday morning, up I jolly well woke from a pleasant dream of one of my workmates burying bodies in my garden (and me saying 'you'll have to bury them deeper, I've got dogs, they dig', which was realistic if not very helpful.  I could have got a shovel and helped dig) to thoughts of furniture.

My living room and dining room are, let's face it and not beat around the bush, just one big space.  My house is, basically, a corridor.  It's virtually impossible to put furniture anywhere without it being in the way of the fireplace, a door, the dog, other furniture, etc.  So we've been living with two sofas facing one another and the TV on one wall, the fireplace opposite. Imagine, if you will, something like a doctor's waiting room, only with a proper TV and a fire that's sometimes lit.  Which has meant that only two people at any one time could actually watch the TV (those two at the furthest end of the sofas from the TV).  Anyone else was sitting sideways on and had to sort of watch over their shoulders.  Add the fact that there was nearly always a dog sitting on one or more sofa cushions, and you have a recipe for disaster, or, at the very least, sore necks.
This is more or less all you can see.
So yesterday we had a grand rearrangement.  Honestly, we moved everything, including the dogs.  In consequence, last night I could watch Doctor Who face-on (I always thought Peter Capaldi was very very thin, turns out it was the way the screen bent.  He's normal sized if you watch him from the front), with a satisfactory fire burning, also in front.  Dusting was also perpetrated but don't worry, this won't happen again, it was only because we had to move a cabinet full of DVDs, most of which we can't remember a) buying or b) ever watching.
Much better than the thin black line I'd been watching.

So, is it an age thing?  Rearranging the furniture?  Like when you're pregnant and start nesting?  Or was I just properly sick and tired of only seeing half of Peter Capaldi?  Anyway.  We now have one three seater sofa, one four seater and one two seater, all in the same room and, by some fluke, they are all green!

If anyone knows how I can stop the five cats we now possess from occupying every single cushion, I'd be grateful.  By the time the cats and dogs are all sitting down, there's only two seats left...

And I have to sit on the floor.

4 comments:

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Sounds like there's not much room to watch TV anyway?? Maybe its an age thing... but maybe not...

Christina Courtenay said...

How about giving the cats a treat in the kitchen just before the programme you want to watch starts, then making a run for it so you get to the cushiony seat before they do? Or throw the treat into a far corner :-)

Chris Stovell said...

Coo, that Christina's a crafty one! :) Well done on a supreme act of reorganisation. I'm afraid my writing's going so badly I cleaned the whole house this weekend. Enjoy the sofas whilst the cats enjoy their treats - and do a bit of speed work as a belt and braces job!

Jane Lovering said...

It's a HUGE room, there should be plenty of space for a bunch of humans, two dogs and five cats...and yet, there isn't. So throwing treats might be a good idea...but that depends on the cats waking up. After all, you can't move a sleeping cat, can you? So now I stare at my clear acres of floor and my cluttered cushions - I might as well go back to my bed and do some writing!