NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 3 August 2014

Writers. Making Words Make Sense since 1300... but only because of lack of cheap cider.

You remember how, last week, I told you I was struggling with the first seventy words?  Well, those are now sorted, phew.  The book is most definitely underway.  I would break a bottle of champagne across its bows to launch all those words that I'm starting to put together but...you know, no champagne or anything, so I'm just going to drink this can of cheap cider in celebration. Yes, those words are just flying together!  There are some 2,747 of them now, all queued up in an order that makes some kind of sense!  And among them are words like 'glove' 'scone' 'nondescript' and 'Mr Spock', just to prove that they really do exist and the whole thing isn't some fabulous construct of my imagination.

Excuse me a minute while I just drink some more of this cider.  It really was fabulously cheap, you know.

Yes. Story.  'S got a falcon in it, called Bane and an owl called Skrillex.  And scones.

S-cown.  Not S-con.  I want to be very clear on this matter

 
Y'see.  What it is.. what is it again?  Oh, I remember, yes.  Y'see, I'm not much of a planner, when it comes to writing, I'm am a decided 'pantser', I write by the seat of my pants. Which are, as previously discussed, on my head. So, I've got this shtory..sorry, I mean story...and I've got certain scenes that I can sort of 'see' happening, but no real idea how they link together, so I just have to drink...I mean, I just have to write to find out what happens next.  Oh, whoops, can is empty now, better have another one.

And sometimes I just can't 'see' what happens next at all.  Or I can 'see' something happening but have no idea how to get the characters into that place in which it has to happen for it to happen.  Whoops, sorry, dribble... and when that happens, or rather doesn't happen, everything gets a bit sticky, with long periods of looking at the wall and muttering, which is where I am at now. I need to get a motorbike in there and my main character on the back of it with someone else, but no idea how. No Idea! None! Sorry, sorry didn't mean to punch you in mouth, was waving arms in fashion indicative of having no idea...

Only way to sort this out! More drink!  No, no, I mean, more writing! Musht sit down and write lots words where things happen and then will be story! Hic. Musht shtop procrahshnaitnnig thing and do..thing. You know, thing.  With letters.  Putting them in order so words.

Must schleep now...zzzzzz.....

4 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Well, all I can say is that I'm reaching for the cheap cider and a scone as we speak on the 'I'll have what she's having' basis. It's a method that works stonkingly well for you so, heck, I'll give it a whirl.

Jane Lovering said...

Well, thank you, Chris! Cream teas all round then, I think...

Guernsey Girl said...

Cider for breakfast? Now there's an idea....

Guernsey Girl said...

Cider for breakfast? Now there's an idea....