NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 13 October 2013

Beverley Lit Fest, where I was allowed without my Special Restraints....

Well!  Yesterday I was on a panel... no, that doesn't mean that someone finally snapped and nailed me to a door, it means that I was at Beverley Lit Fest, sitting on a chair.  And sitting alongside me were Rhoda Baxter, fellow Choc Liteer, Val Wood, who was 'chairing' us, and Melinda Hammond, so it was all very glam and professional and everything.  We even had proper radio mikes! Normally when I do this sort of thing (well, maybe not this sort of thing, it's more usually a small room in the back of a shop) I'm just told to 'speak up, really loudly, and don't mind the dog, he wanders off half way through anyway'.  But no!Proper voice-loudening devices were worn!  And there wasn't even a dog!  Just lots of lovely people who asked real questions and laughed and didn't say things like 'well, who's she then? I've never heard of her,' during the talks.

I'd never been to Beverley before. Although on a map it's only about half an inch from where I live, when you translate that into real miles it's quite a long way. And it's up and down all the way which, even in a car, is a bit offputting, it gives me the impression that I'm going into space, just really slowly.  But it seems a very nice place, and I'm sure I'll go back, especially now that I know they've got an M&S which is, let's face it, the really important thing about a place. Cultural sights of interest are all very well but sometimes what you really want is a good-quality sandwich and proper pants.
Some of it, I am led to believe, looks like this

And we talked about writing romance and being published and stuff like that, and it was very grown up and I only did one obscene gesture and I didn't mention incontinence or wee or anything even once!

I think everyone may have forgotten my last debacle and I may gradually be allowed into polite society again.  Like a Victorian lady coming slowly out of mourning...

8 comments:

Rhoda Baxter said...

You did mention horse wee and say a rude word... The best bit was when you TRIED to stop the rude gesture, but you just couldn't help yourself!

I had great fun doing that panel. The audience seem to be interested too, which is always a bonus.

Chris Stovell said...

I'm fond of the Jane who talks about wee when accepting awards so I hope she hasn't been completely banished. Anyway, well done, everyone was lucky to be entertained by you.

Jane Lovering said...

You're right, Rhoda. I don't know what it is but wherever I am the wee just wants to get out...

And thank you, Chris, we were all very entertaining (and had a right good laugh before, when we all had lunch together - I shall never look at Cauliflower Soup in the same way again). Rest assured that Rhoda is quite right and I did mention wee, just a trickle though. And I will demonstrate my obscene gesture to anyone who wants to see it...

Carol Hedges said...

Great stuff! Beverley is a lovely town..BH wants to head back there at some point, being a Yorkshireman by birth. I bet you went down a storm. Sell many books?

Jane Lovering said...

Books were being purchased, certainly, Carol, but I couldn't hang around to verify, we ran out of parking time and had to leave! It lets the side down if you get a ticket...

angela britnell said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Love your description of M&S -greatly missed over here in Tennessee.

Melinda Hammond/Sarah Mallory said...

It was a great panel, I loved it - and loved being on stage with such lovely companions. We had a good time, and I think the audience did, too!

Guernsey Girl said...

Just reading this made me laugh - I wish I'd been there, Jane, to share it all with you...