NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 7 July 2013

Sun; does it influence your reading habits?

Over the last couple of days, it's actually been moderately warm up here in Yorkshire.  Well, I say 'moderately warm' because this is something of a consensus opinion - most people think it's delightfully warm, TMMQ says it's 'bloody hot', the dogs won't move from the side of the pond, and I've just taken my cardigan off. So, as I said, consensus is that it's warm. Ish.

And, as you may have gathered from my previous, unexpectedly 'midweek' post, I've just signed for my newest book with Choc Lit, which, all things being true to form, will be released next June, ie, the month of warm(ish) sun (hopefully), ice-creams and picnics. It's a book about vampires.  Look, I'll do the cover thing again for you, just in case you can't be bothered to flick back...
That's Whitby Abbey, that is. No, not the face, the building.  The book contains a big denouement (and don't think that I can't see you sniggering there at the back), which takes place at Whitby, so the Abbey isn't just there to look all Gothic and foreboding, it's actually in the book...

And this, together with the current pleasantly mild spell, during which I may even consider changing out of my long-johns and into something slightly more...well, breatheable, got me thinking.  I've been sitting out in the sunshine reading books, and I've been drawn towards the lighter end of the market, as though something in the ability to sit in the garden (at least, I think it's the garden. It's all overgrown and there are big rocks in it, so there is the slight possibility that a) I'm lost and b) Highgate Cemetery has really let itself go) has drawn forth the desire to read books that can be dipped into with a sense of pleasure, rather than the 'Journal of Psychology Today' and the incisive 'Dances with Frogs - a searing indictment of the state of amphibious life in the modern world'.

Is this a 'thing'? Is it something that happens to everyone - sun comes out and we flock to read books that reflect our ability to cast off seven layers of clothing and bask? Is this why some books are labelled 'Beach Read'?  Although I have to say that I've never seen the converse, books labelled 'Books to be read with all the lights on'.. And if it is a 'thing', then where does that leave my Summer Vampires?  Do people want to read about blood and zombies (yep, there are quite a lot of zombies in Falling Apart. Hence the title, do you see?) when outside it's 25 degrees in the shade and the cat just melted?  Or is there a nice juxtaposition in reading vampires on the beach?  Are we all now imagining a cross between Twilight and Baywatch?  We could call it 'Baylight'....Or is that a Yankee candle fragrance?

So, what do you think? Do you have 'sunshine' books and 'winter' books? I have a friend who reads 'Anna Karenina' every Christmas, because of the snow, and 'Emma' every summer, because of the picnic at Box Hill.  Is everyone's reading influenced by the season?  Although, I have to say that Vampire State of Mind came out in the summer, which doesn't seem to have put anyone off; but then, it was last summer, which was less of a summer and more of a winter-lite.. Can you read ghosties and ghoulies and dark doings when the sun is illuminating the unwashed state of your windows and that thing the cat did behind the sofa in January that you forgot about? Or, when it comes down to it, does it really matter?

Less frightening when looked at whilst watching Wimbledon with the other eye and holding strawberries?



7 comments:

Lesley Cookman said...

Well, I read my Rupert Annuals every Christmas...

Angela Britnell said...

I love the way a book can make you forget the weather outside and take you to a different climate and place.

Jane Lovering said...

Well, yes, Lesley, obviously! Nothing like celebrating Christmas with Rupert...

And I'm glad you think this is the case, Angela. Some people don't seem to like reading 'wintery' books in summer.

Flowerpot said...

Sunshine doesnt have any affect on my reading material. I'm currently reading Ellen Macarthur's autobiography of her sailing near icebergs!

Guernsey Girl said...

It's all down to my moods - I choose happy or sad, serious or funny, but never because of the weather. I remember Victoria Hislop's The Island being classed as a 'beach read' even though it was set in a leper colony!!

Chris Stovell said...

Good post, Jane (as ever) - I don't mind what time of year it is in the novel so long as it's a great story - like Vampire State of Mind.
I'm laughing at Guernsey Girl's comment too!

Jane Lovering said...

I hope Ellen's icebergs are helping you keep cool, Flowerpot! But it seems, like Guernsey Girl and Chris, most people don't mind what time of year it is, as long as they have something to read!