NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 2 December 2012

Hissing Fits, Being Warm and Tony Robinson in a Hat.

I was, predictably enough, going to blog about Christmas... the eternal search for the perfect present, the agonies of crowded shopping centres and the concomitant bruising; the annual plea for Santa to bring me exciting presents that aren't DIY related (assuming, of course, that you Do Your Own hoovering and dusting and don't have a little goblin that does it for you), yada yada.  Sadly predictable, and if there's one word which should never apply to me, it's predictable.  Sad, yes, although relatively rarely in the 'boohoo' ways and far more often in the modern parlance, ie my (to others) inexplicable fixation with Tony Robinson and HobNobs. (Actually, idea there for Christmas, get Tony moistened and rolled in HobNob crumbs...)
Gratuitous Tony Robinson picture, courtesy of the BBC.  HobNobs not pictured.
Where was I?

Ah yes.  The thing that distracted me from Christmas.  Today, my truly wonderful Other Half (hereafter to be known as The Mysterious Mister Q, or just TMMQ for short) fixed my central heating system! If you have never been in the position of sitting in bed, wearing four layers but with the tip of your nose so cold that you fear it may actually have fallen off and be forming that lumpy thing that you're sitting on, leaving you with nothing but a nose-hole, like a syphilis sufferer in Primark jammies, you will not understand.  But anyone who has, will.  And, in the course of following TMMQ around the house with a little brass key, bleeding radiators and occasionally journeying back to the Boiler of Origin to tap the pressure valve, I found one of the most satisfying experiences known to man.

The hiss and squirt of a bleeding radiator.

They look like this.  Roughly.  Only with more rust, and the paint behind them is peelier. Also there is dust. And dog hair.
There is something so intrinsically satisfying in feeling the heat rising up your erstwhile chilly metal, while the valve hisses and chuffs like an overweight man making an unwise attempt at fell-running, and eventually splutters with a sound similar to a goblin having a chuckling fit, finally spurting water into your (hopefully) carefully held cloth. I know it sounds boring, it sounds as though it would come second only to sitting next to a tuft of turf with a ruler and waiting for results to fill in on your 'Grass Growing' chart, but, trust me on this.  I'm actually hoping that the pressure has dropped, so that we can go around the house with the brass key later and do the 'hissing' thing all over again!

Okay.  You can all go back to staring at the picture of Tony, sucking your teeth, shaking your heads and muttering "Really?  I mean, seriously?' now.  But if you'd like to leave a comment, telling me about your own peculiar enjoyments, I shan't judge.  I may laugh, of course, but I shan't judge...

11 comments:

Gilli Allan said...

Enjoyed it - even the Tony Robinson and radiator fixation. I can imagine my OH's reaction, "But he's short!", as if height had anything to do with fanciability. One piece of info I can reliably pass on. When chatting to the aforementioned never mention Baldrick if you don't want to unleash the inner diva.

Laura E. James said...

I enjoy the feeling of new socks on recently waxed, then moisturised legs. There's something very cosy about it. Like clean sheets.
xx

Anonymous said...

For me, there is nothing like having a bath. Then getting changed into the pyjamas, and snuggling up in clean sheets, with a hot drink and a book. Though having been without heating before now, I can definitely appreciate where you are coming from, Jane.
Lorraine

Jane Lovering said...

Thank you, Gilli. I also don't equate height with fanciability, since I've never much fancied talking to a man's abdomen whilst out walking - and I shall bear the 'Baldrick' tip in mind.

Laura - that's only slightly odd, come on, don't tell me that's the most peculiar enjoyment you've got... I've met you, don't forget!

And Lorraine, yes, I know exactly that lovely feeling of snuggling up, all clean and warm and with a good book! We all seem to have a thing about clean sheets too, don't we? Hmmm... wonder what that implies?

Chris Stovell said...

Sorry, Jane - but this post should have come with a health warning. The 'rolled in HobNob crumbs' bit in connection with that photo (and I'm not talking about the radiator) nearly pushed me right over the edge. On a happier note I'm glad TMMQ is keeping you warm and toasty... not least because I really don't want to look at a crumb covered Tony Robinson sitting across the table at the next Choc Lit gathering, however witty and charming he may be.

Laura E. James said...

Lol!

Flowerpot said...

Mine is cuddling up to my dog who is particularly cuddly...

Rhoda Baxter said...

I totally understand the thing about bleeding radiators. I had a student room on the top floor of a nunnery and my radiator had to be bled every week. There's something very satisfying (and warming) about feeling the heat rising in a fresh bled radiator.
My weird fixation is chili oil and golden syrup sandwiches. YUM.

Rhoda

PS: Height has NOTHING to do with fanciability.(Although I'm yet to meet a man who is shorter than me).

Jane Lovering said...

Chris, I was going to let him leave his clothes on! A *naked* rolled in HobNob crumbs Tony would be a whole different..ummm...ballgame. And I wouldn't let him come to Choc Lit gatherings anyway, you lot might steal him...

Flowerpot, yes, I agree, and therefore cuddling dogs is not peculiar, I've decided. Although, Rhoda, chili oil with *anything* is just, plain, odd.

D.J. Kirkby said...

I love to go to bed with perfume on, wear coloured tights, eat chill laced chocolate, and drink champagne (not necessarily all at the same time)

Jane Lovering said...

No, I'm sorry, my mental picture is already complete... am now picturing you as something like Marilyn Munro doing a Pretty Polly advert.