NEW - CRITIQUE SERVICE

I am now offering a critique and manuscript assessment service. For further details, please e mail me at janelovering@gmail.com

Sunday 24 June 2012

Book Signings - now with 100% more Wee! A Blog of Thankitude and a tiny FSOG Snark:- Brought to you by Pimms!

...and then pour me another Pimms, would you? But no umbrella this time, I'm feeling a little sensitive, umbrella-wise and I think my Wellingtons may have become permanently welded to my feet.  If I try to get them off I'm going to snap at the ankles, like Action Mans.  Men.  Like they used to when you tried to change their boots and their feet came with them.  The boots, I mean, not 'them', of course their feet came with them, how could you go anywhere without your feet coming too?

Anyway.  Pimms, no umbrella.  Big one.  And less of the strawberries, I need a drink not a dessert and besides, when I tip the glass they hit me on the nose.

Ah.  There you are.  I just had a little drinkie while I was waiting for you.  Medicinal, of course.  Pimms is very good for the.. for the..eyesight.  Must be good, can now see two of everything!  Which is a definite improvement, because before I could barely see one!

Now, firstly I must say some 'thank yous'.  A Big One to Waterstones in Scarborough (yes, yes, a big 'thank you', why, what did you think I meant?  Did you?  Well why would I be wishing them one of those?  They've probably got lots already, between them.) for hosting my Signing yesterday.  Everything went brilliantly!  Look...


See?  So excited I dampened the floor! Had to sit cross-legged for the rest of the day so that more excitement didn't leak out!

Secondly, a big Thank You to everyone who came along and bought a book.  Particularly Dorinda, who stopped by to tell me that she follows this blog!    Hello!  Of course, all right minded and forward thinking people should follow me, and quite a lot of them do, but at a distance, so it's always lovely when people actually, you know, come close enough for me to see their faces.

And then another Big Thank you to Waterstones (yes, I know I did, but this is a different one.  No, it's the same Waterstones, but a different reason for thanks) for suggesting that I come back at the beginning of August to do an Event for the launch of Vampire State of Mind!  Yes, you would have thought they would have learned their lesson, what with the moistening of their carpet, and my constant leaping up and down to try to persuade innocent purchasers of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' that what they really wanted to do was to buy my book, but they still want me back!

Not saying anything, just... you know...

And then some other thanks - not lesser, just 'other'.  The Mysterious Steve, for eye catching of patrons on my behalf when my face was pointing another way, and for telling them that my books were far better than FSOG, and also more Award Winning; the British Weather, for ensuring that the crowds weren't flaunting their flesh upon Scarborough's sands but were instead wandering through the streets in search of something to spend money upon; those purchasers who, despite having started with no intentions of buying my books, allowed themselves to be persuaded (whilst being very jolly about it); Waterstones Simon, for lending me his pen (I know, I know, I just forgot, all right?) and then threatening me not to run off with it "Because I know Where You Live..." (and the scary thing is, he does...) and finally, but almost even more brilliantly, those people who came not to buy but to tell me that they had read one (or sometimes more!!!) of my books - and enjoyed them.

A lovely, lovely day.  And, on an entirely unrelated note, I bought some curtains, which fit the windows I bought them for!  A practically unheard-of event, and one which accounts for why, in this house, many windows can be looked out of, even when the curtains are drawn, and others have vanished behind swathes of fabric sufficient to curtain an entire greenhouse-worth of glass.

Now, where's that Pimms? For I have declared it Pimming Time!  Cheers, everybody!  Bottoms Up!

No, not you.  And, really, not like that...

9 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Glad the book signings went so well.

I'm so impressed that you bought curtains that fit the window. That is a feat I've not quite managed yet.

Celia Anderson said...

Oh, I wish I lived near enough to do Pimms night with you! Great post, made me larf lots xxx

Talli Roland said...

Did you have to clean up the mess when you dampened the floor, or did they? :)

Jane Lovering said...

Yes, Debs,I impressed myself too! It involved lots of umming in the shop and holding up a stick and going 'yes, it's about...that...big'.

Celia - I wish you lived close enough to moderate my Pimms intake too!

And Talli, yes I did have to clean up, but I carry my own emergency sponge and bucket arrangement every where I go.

D.J. Kirkby said...

What a lovely, happy, funny, and slightly damp post. Erm, did you say any Pimms for me?

Jane Lovering said...

Er.There was some here... a minute ago..I'm sure...oh dear. And I even ate the strawberry... Maybe next time?

Chris Stovell said...

Well done you - and how lovely to meet Dorinda and the other very sensible fans of your writing.

You sound as if you really did enjoy it... a trick I haven't pulled off yet!

Jane Lovering said...

'Enjoy' is probably the wrong word. I enjoyed it once I'd stopped gritting my teeth at being passed over for FSOG by people to who a bookshop was clearly a new experience. But then other people came along and it got nice. Anyway, you can enjoy anything if you are out of your brain on Pimms....

Dorinda Cass said...

Have just given myself time off from the computer - following your wise words about getting words on paper etc - and found my name in lights (well, almost) on your blog. This has totally gone to my head and I will be charging a meeting fee from now on!!